Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Scooter 232

Understanding Scoot Culture

Scooter culture is the foundation for all Scooterists. I think you know before you actually buy a Scoot which bracket of the Sub-Culture you are going to fit into. Now, I am not trying to label people and this particular course is strictly based upon my own views and opinions. In no way am I trying to create a rift between the different groups because in the end we all ride on 2 and that’s what matters most. There are 4 basic groups in the scootering world. MODS, TRONS, NATCHOS and SOLDIERS. I will be analyzing each of these groups in a short synopsis for this class. So here we go.

MODS

Mods originated back in the late 50’s as a subculture group in the UK. We all know them today as hipsters or scenesters. This group of scooterist can generally be found riding on vintage Vespas and from my experience tend to be a little snooty in their demeanor. In a nutshell these are the BMW drivers of the scooter world. Yes, everyone can see that you are driving a Vespa and we really don’t care. Just because my scoot starts EVERYtime and doesn’t fall apart doesn’t mean I am any less of a scooterist. Mods also tend to ride scooters solely for image purposes. If it were more scene to roll on a Segway than you would see them on a Segway instead. Now this title doesn’t apply to all Vespa riders, so don’t take offensive to this if you don’t feel you fall into this category. Much respect definitely goes out to Vespa. Scooting would not be where it is today if it weren’t for Vespa.

TRONS


Trons are a force to be reckoned with. This group of scooterist seems to be growing at a rate the rest of us can’t keep up with. Due largely to the vast number of Chinese clone scooters out there that are available at your local hardware store and/or auto parts dealer. These scooters look very futuristic and almost like spaceships. Sorry, but I have an issue with space so that doesn’t help my opinion of the Tron Scooters out there. Trons love the fact that they have mini crotch rockets, so the steez factor they bring kind of sucks. Yes, they are scooters and any scooter is a good scooter so I really can’t hate too much.

NATCHOS
(pronounced like nature but instead of ure it’s chos so it’s natchos)

Natchos are a great group of scooterist. Generally they are super stoked to be doing their part by getting 80 mpg’s and saving loads of money in the process. These guys tend to ride every type of scoot and put more of an emphasis on safety and environmental sustainability then steez. I agree with their thought process and encourage everyone to have a little bit of natcho inside of you. Scooting as a Natcho demands respect from all different sects in the scooter world and I highly approve of them.

SOLDIERS

Being in the Serpents Scooter Gang we are brought up to understand the concept of being a Soldier of the Slab. We live and die on the slab. We ride because it’s either ride or die. Scooting is a lifestyle decision and we have made it. We don’t ride to be seen, it is what we were born to do. We don’t let the type of scoot decide how we roll cause we roll on 2! It’s not easy being a serpent of the street, we are constantly battling for our spot on the slab and in a world where cagers reign supreme we need to fight. Soldiers have to face the up hill struggle in our daily combat commute. Keep it street Serpents and the slab with look out for you.

I said it once before and I’ll say it again. A scooter is a scooter…show respect…wave at your fellow scooterist…in the end we are all Soldiers of the Slab!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mods and Trons suck! Soldier for life!

Anonymous said...

ALL Scooter Riders ROCK. I don't care if you are a MOD or TRON or whatever...you can ride with me. We live in a world of Giant SUVs and Scooter hatin' sports cars. That is why us Scooer lovers must stick together. I probably fit into the soldier category but I am no better than anyone else on the road who is rollin' on 2.
Keep the Scoot Alive.

Scoot Lord said...

NC Scoots-a-lot

You are a soldier of the slab. We ride and that's just what we do. I am happy to see you respect all things on 2 wheels. We all battle the sports cars that feel the need to prove they are quicker then us. In the end we are the ones laughing cause everyday on a scoot is a holiday!

Anonymous said...

MOD FOREVER. MODERN VESPA

Anonymous said...

Dude....I don't give a fuuuuuuuck...I hate on everyone and everything...trucks roll up ...I hate on em....cars roll up ....i hate on em.....true soljas we don't die....I will always roll on fools that suck....

Anonymous said...

I'll hit Paris Hilton in the face with a scooter...and start doing donuts afterBURN LOS ANGLELES TO THE GROUND YALL!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

i'm a soldier..but i am a mod. i look like a mod. i dress like it, i prefer it, i think it looks good and i like it so i do it. but all that matters is being on the scooter. i dont care what it is. its not an accessory, it's an extention. i dont hate on anyone on two wheels. we all ride.

Anonymous said...

I'm a cross between a Natcho and a Soldier. I started out as a complete Natcho and have become a ride-to-live, live-to-ride kind of guy.

I doubt I'll ever be called a Mod, but I do think they usually have good taste in clothing.

Anonymous said...

thats the biggest load of crap i've ever heard and you should be ashamed of yourself for being so uninformed about a scene that you claim to be part of. i wouldn't give you the time of day if i saw you on the "slab".
if your old enough to have a license you should be old enough to not be such a moron.

Scoot Lord said...

Let's meet and go for a ride on my SLAB. I will slap you in the face with my glove and challenge you to a dual. Keep it street people we true soldiers we don't die!!

Anonymous said...

Whoever was hatin on you Scoot Lord is most definetly not a true soldier, he might as well go ride on a crotch sniffing rocket! Scoot Lord I will ride by your side and slap him on the other cheek and challenge him as well!

Anonymous said...

thats fuckin stupid

mods hardy ever ride vespas they mostly ride lambrettas

and what about skinheads? my family are all skinheads and we have 4 different scooters 3 vespas and a lambretta

if your gonna pigeonhole someone do it right

Bianca said...

mate your insane , ponce .

pondca said...

Jesus H. Christ scootering is just a way too get around. You take yourselves to seriously. Hey, how about this --- enlist in the Army and fight a real battle. You're a bunch of adolescent winking schmucks who have nothing better to do than imagine yourselves as soldiers. How fierce of you. Holy cow get a life.